Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The sun and I (prompt #1)

If anyone's still here, hello, it's been a while!

One of my new year resolutions is to work on my writing, so I'm going to do this: pick a prompt every day and just write something. I'm not going to give myself any particular wordcount because this is enough of a challenge already, okay? We'll see what happens.

Without further ado, today's exercise is:
  • Write about the sun as though you love it. Then write about it as though you hate it.

1. Spring equinox is marked on my calendar in capital letters. I used my best fountain pen. When it comes I let my hair ripple down my back and I wear yellow. I am courting your approval. I haven't seen much of you over the past few months and when I have it wasn't really you. Not all of you anyway. But now you are coming back as you always do.

The alarm clock goes off at seven in the morning and finds me sitting already dressed at the edge of my bed. I've missed you too much and today you are coming back.

I step out into the semi darkness of early morning and head to the highest hilltop. When I get there you haven't arrived yet but you are close. I see you first, (so beautiful) then I feel your touch (so kind). I realise I'm smiling again after so many months. Your gentle caress is slowly melting the frozen lake of my soul. The light you provide shines bright at the wasteland behind my ribs but you don't flinch. I get on my tiptoes, stretch higher, my arm, further, my fingertips.

I understand why Icarus happily exchanged his life for a chance to touch you. I would too.



2. Your glow is too strong, you burn too bright and I cannot bear it.

The scorching heat you hurl at me is evaporating my soulsap, stripping away my humanity and my clothes. Nothing matters just your greedy fingers piercing through my skin, not stopping until they trap bone marrow.
There is nothing left to see or feel, just your overbearing blinding presence.
You burn burn burn my skin without mercy till there is a frayed black hollow where my heart used to live.

People (even poets!) say you make living softer, easier, prettier.
The truth is you quicken the process of rotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm enchanted to meet you!